Tenent Guide


Now you have viewed and found a suitable property you may have some important questions to ask

How do I secure the property?

Once you have found a suitable property then a non-refundable administration charge is required which enables us to retain the property for you subject to contract and obtaining satisfactory references. However this does not constitute in anyway a contract or any obligation placed upon us or the landlord. At this stage and subject to the Landlords agreement, we will advise other applicants that the property is held subject to references, your ability to proceed in accordance with the Landlords requirements and subject to any unforeseen circumstances in favour of the Landlord.

What information will the agent require from me?

The application forms will normally be sent to you via email. Your application is then submitted electronically to our credit referencing agency. If you do not have or are unable to get to an internet then we can supply a paper copy. When filling the form in, please ensure that you have all telephone numbers, fax numbers and email addresses of referees as this will help speed up the process enormously. In order to minimise potential delays with your application, please complete fully and sign the attached Ready Reckoner if not already done so. As soon as we receive a reply from the credit referencing agency we will inform you of the result and your confirmation document pack will then be sent to you.

McCann Estate Agents

Credit Checks

Credit checks normally take on average 2-3 days but may take longer if the agency has difficulty in contacting people on your email or form. You would be advised to inform people with immediate effect that they may be contacted for a reference. In certain circumstances, we may apply for references direct to your referees and therefore, in these circumstances, we would not use our credit referencing agency.

Please be advised that your basic annual income needs to be at least 30 times the monthly rent in order to comply with the referencing criteria. Please discuss your situation with your Lettings Consultant if you have any queries. Any detrimental or false credit information may well adversely affect your application and therefore you run the risk of forfeiting your administration charge as it is non-refundable.

ID and Proof of Address / Residency

In order to successfully complete your tenancy application and prior to any tenancy commencing, we will require proof of residency and proof of identity (photographic ID) for each tenant plus your contents insurance schedule. (Proof of residency can be a utility bill which is less than 3 months old. Proof of identity can be passport, identity card or a drivers licence.) These documents must be presented to us as originals for verification where upon copies will then be taken for records

McCann Estate Agents


If the landlord has granted permission for pets to be kept at a property, then an additional Tenancy Deposit of 150.00 will be due. This sum may vary according to the requirements of the landlord and the number and size of the pets to be kept at the property. This figure will be confirmed to you in writing prior to check in.

McCann Estate Agents

How much is the administration charge?

For administration charges relating to tenants, please enquire at our office.

Who do I call for a progress report on my application?

For a progress report on your application or for any queries once you have moved in, please contact our local branch.

What happens when my Tenancy is renewed?

Should your tenancy be extended, there will be an administration charge and that information can be provided together with how it is administered by enquiring with our local office and will be confirmed prior to your move in

What do I need to pay on Check in?


First months rent in advance

Tenants Deposit

Equivalent to one and a half months rent. (Subject to any additional payments in relation to pets)

Checkout charge

Please enquire at out local branch for charges (if applicable)

How do I pay on Check in?


Payments can be made by BAC'S (but must be cleared funds in our account 5 clear working days prior to your move in date)


A personal cheque is acceptable (But must be presented to us 10 clear working days prior to your move in date and made payable to McCann Estate Agents).

McCann Estate Agents


Alternatively, you can pay the exact amount in cash upon the day and prior to your move in. Please be aware that we will need the exact monies as we do not hold change.

McCann Estate Agents


When can you collect the keys?

The inventory check in will be carried out by mutual agreement and keys given to you by the Check-in clerk (If applicable) Please contact our local branch to arrange an appointment for collection of keys on the day the tenancy starts (If applicable) We must have in our possession cleared funds, a signed Tenancy Agreement, completed references, photographic ID, proof of residence, details of appropriate Contents Insurance and a completed Standing Order Mandate before we can hand keys over to you.

McCann Estate Agents

What about contents insurance?

Tenants are required to take out appropriate contents insurance, which include third party cover for the landlord, as specified in the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement. Insurance must be in place as soon as the tenancy commences.

McCann Estate Agents can offer specialist contents insurance cover for tenants which include third party cover for landlord’s goods. If you would like a quotation for insurance at any time, please call our local branch for more information.

What about your utilities?

We will endeavour to notify the relevant gas, electricity, water and council tax companies. You will be responsible for paying these accounts for the duration of the tenancy unless otherwise stated in your tenancy agreement. Telephone / Internet companies will not accept instructions from third parties and therefore neither the Landlord nor the Agent can be responsible for ensuring there is a working active line available to you. If you are moving into a Property that has not had a telephone line connected previously or it has been vacant for three months or more then it will be your responsibility to pay the BT or any other provider’s connection fee.

How do I pay the future rent?

Your rent in cleared funds is payable in advance and should reach our / the landlords account on the rent due date as specified in your Tenancy Agreement (e.g. Tenancy commenced on the 26th day of the month then the rent due date is monthly every 26th day thereafter)

Rent is paid by standing order mandate (we do not operate a direct debit system). Rent will leave your account 3 days before it is due to enable it to reach our account on the due date. Standing Orders are instructions to your bank to pay McCann / the landlord. They cannot be cancelled or changed by McCann / the landlord once they are set up.

Only one standing order is acceptable for payment of rent; we cannot accept split payments. To accommodate a single payment standing order, you may wish to enquire about starting a house account with your fellow occupants.

Please note: Notification of late payment of rent is charged at 25 + VAT. Legal notices are charged at 75 + VAT.

What happens to the deposit?

Tenancy Deposit

The tenancy deposit will be held as stakeholder for Assured Shorthold Tenancies in accordance with the requirements of The Deposit Protection Service (DPS). This means that the deposit can be released as soon as both parties agree. (Please refer to the tenancy agreement terms and conditions for more details.)

Contact details of the scheme

The Deposit Protection Service
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6AA

McCann Estate Agents

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

These will be clearly defined in your tenancy agreement, but if in doubt - ASK US

According to Lord Denning:- "The tenant must take proper care of the premises....he must do the little jobs around the place which a reasonable tenant would do"

Parking Pemits

Many apartment blocks require residents to purchase and display a valid parking permit when using the communal/allocated parking area. It is the responsibility of the Tenant to obtain and pay for such a permit for the duration of the tenancy. Failure to display a valid parking permit may result in the vehicle being clamped and the owner fined.

Who do I call for a progress report on my application?

For a progress report on your application or for any queries once you have moved in, please contact our local branch.

What about Data Protection?

Information supplied will be held on our computer system in accordance with the company’s notification under the Data Protection Act 1998.